Highlights of Peru
You’re in for an adventure on this tour of Peru exploring Inca treasures, wild landscapes, and ancient legends, all topped off with the opportunity to sample classic Peruvian pisco sour. Step back in time at Machu Picchu, get lost in the heady buzz of a local market in Lima and discover textile art from a Quechua scholar.
- 1 Welcome Reception (WR)
- 7 Breakfast (B)
- 1 Be My Guest (BMG)
- 1 Lunch (L)
- 2 Dinner (D)
- 1 Farewell Dinner (FD)
- Lima: Visit a local market with Chef Ignacio and enjoy a special lunch at his cooking school.
- Lima: You’re treated to a lesson on how to pour the perfect Pisco sour, Peru’s native drink. In the good hands of professional chef Ignacio, the results are sure to be delicious. Ignacio will explain the history of Pisco – a type pf wine, the typical Pisco Sour, and an internationally less known but locally more popular drink called "Chilcano". This cocktail of pisco, lime juice, Ginger ale and bitters is a refreshing twist on the pisco sour that will have you eager to share the recipe with your friends.
- Lima: Take in the highlights of Lima, the 'City of the Kings,' including a panoramic view of the ancient districts. Join a local specialist for a visit to the UNESCO-listed Historic Center. Learn how before it was destroyed by earthquakes in the mid-18th century, observing how the historic buildings display a collaboration between local craftspeople and others from the Old World. Then drive along the coastline as you learn more about the fascinating history of Peru's capital city.
- Lima: Join a local specialist for a tour of the Rafael Larco Herrera Museum which houses the largest private collection of pre-Columbian Peruvian art in the world. You'll also explore the extensive collection of Peruvian gold and silver from ancient times. Learn the history of the museum founded by Rafael Larco on July 28th, 1926 in Trujillo followed by in 1958 when Larco moved his collection to Lima to a unique colonial residence built on top of a VIII century pyramid.
- Cusco: Visit Manos de la Comunidad weaving center to learn about artistic traditions and the four Andean camels: Llamas, Alpacas, Vicuñas and Guanacos. Then step inside a private area to discover one of the traditions of the Sacred Valley called "lindaje". This typical tradition of several communities reinforces the borders of each community and involves several customs, one of which is man dancing in typical women’s clothes. Then enjoy an exclusive lunch at a beautiful outdoor space near the Weaving center.
- : Explore Lima and Cusco with a Local Specialist and try Peruvian food during a cooking demonstration
- : Visit the ruins at Ollantaytambo, two visits to the 15th century fortress of Machu Picchu, historic Sacsayhuaman, the Larco Museum in Lima, Manos de la Comunidad Weaving Center and experience a traditional "lindaje"
- : Scenic Drive through the Sacred Valley and in Peru's Andean highlands
- : Scenic Train Ride to Machu Picchu aboard the Vistadome train
- : An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- : Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- : All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- : All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- : Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- : Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- : Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- : Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- : A Trafalgar Bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima, including porter service at all airports.
- : Tickets for a ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu
- : Optional Experiences and free time
- : On occasion, hotels of similar standard and location may be utilized.
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- A Trafalgar Bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima, including porter service at all airports.
- Tickets for a ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu
- Optional Experiences and free time
- On occasion, hotels of similar standard and location may be utilized.
Imagine unmissable experiences you've always dreamed of, getting to know the locals and having everything taken care of every step of the way.
Here's what you'll experience:
Must-sees to local secrets
Visiting bucket list sites are a highlight of traveling, however, traveling on your own can make them hard work. Don't queue with other sightseers for hours, with Trafalgar our experts unlock doors - think exclusive access to the Vatican out of hours or a...